So keeping on my story theme, here's my story from yesterday.
I'm teaching Math. The kids are kinda, sorta, paying attention. (When they are not screwing around or noisy, I consider that paying attention, who cares about learning.) And I'm checking that their workbook is complete and homework in their Home Folder. I'm walking around and quietly saying get in 3B line. (It's 2:15 and even though I haven't said, they are assuming, quite correctly, that we are going out to recess.)
When 2/3 are in line they start messing around, talking, being their usual unfocused selves and I say, "Please sit down."
So they do.
They assume I'm going to make them line up AGAIN.
They assumed wrong.
I said, "Oh, so sad, I was going to give you a recess, but you couldn't handle the line."
There was a small audible gasp.
Imagine the sad faces.
So, I then say, "Stand and push your chairs in."
Again, they assume they are re-lining up and we're going out to recess.
Wrong.
I say, "Run in place silently."
Still, not quite getting it, (a FAST group) they are thinking there is a slight possibility that they may be running silently to the line???????
Nope. I say, "Now do silent jumping jacks."
They've picked up on this now.
One little guy is crying as he's doing jumping jacks.
Two of my BDs are refusing to do it and instead choosing their usual oppositional defiance.
Two more of my athletic types are scowling, that future "If looks could kill" look.
Two of my girls are pouting.
The four mature students I have are remembering the counseling principle, "If I do not like it, I must accept it."
It was a riot. They were shocked.
And what a story this tells...nobody follows through with them very much. They get reprimanded and then it's probably, "Oh, OK, you can do it anyway."
Well, they have met their match!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment