So I checked on Border's site and found some books I'd like to read and checked them out from the library.
One of the books was Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.

I've never read this guy before and I really tend to prefer female authors, but I thought what the heck.
Ah, a very different book and plot and style.
I stopped at about p. 76 and
I HATE to give up on a book (and who knows maybe I'll go back to it before it is due.)
On to Book #2
Third Angel by Alice Hoffman.

I like Alice Hoffman. One summer I think I read every book she had written. (That has to tell you something that you can read them that fast....)
I enjoyed the begining and thought that this was going to be a good one. Then I realized that even though I could not write the book, I felt like I had the talent to do this one. I was not impressed. I was actually a little bored and with all the gazillions of books out there should I waste my time?
So, again I'm on about p. 76 (give or take 20 pages) and I went to book #3
The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold.

I think she is a fantastic author. However, I listened to her on NPR's Fresh Air and I thought she is either extremely intelligent or insane or both. Dark, oh so dark. I didn't read her book Lucky, but that is the story of her rape. I think she hasn't fully recovered from that. Or something in her life has her messed up. Or that's what all authors are like: writing to heal or writing to rid themselves of their messes and give them to the readers.
Whatever.
Anyway I am on p.80 (truthfully) and I haven't given up on this one, although I have checked the ending. It's so dark it had me anxious for the main character and since she is not a predictable author, I had to prepare myself for what lies ahead.
It's not going to be pretty at all. So why do I stick with it, you may ask? Well, she is a wonderful writer. Her thoughts, her words, give me cause to reflect and I LOVE that part about reading. I feel like I am reading something of worth even though it may not be of substance to enrich my life.
I will not complete this book by Monday's return to work and I can't say I've accomplished a great deal of reading this break, however if you total all the pages...it could amount to a book.
No comments:
Post a Comment