Thursday, February 11, 2010

Two to go

I woke with hopes that today was not Thursday, but Saturday.

I woke with hopes that today was March.

I woke knowing that today was an Early Release Day (Kids are out 1 hour and 40 minutes early.) So that was positive.

I woke knowing that the more I would drag my feet, the later I would get to school would not change the fact that today was the VALENTINE's PARTY!

Graphic by Stephane Masse-Bidal

So I wore red and I smiled as the kids came in early, to wait in the hall, because parents drop them off at the crack of dawn and the schools have not created a warming station outside for kids yet.

And then it began...

-Mrs. Bodnar, can I come in and pass out my valentines?

-No, we will do that at the party?

-When is the party?

-I told you yesterday, after lunch. Now go back in the hall, this is my work time.

Child #2 -

-Mrs. Bodnar, can I just come in and put away my backpack?

-No

-But it has my valentines in it.

-Go back in the hall.

RIIINNNGGG

And then the noise level in the room went through the roof and if one child asked me all 27 did...

-Where should I put my valentines?

Wearing my best, this is going to be a great day, smile I rang my lovely chimes, which are to be a signal to get quiet and on most days it works, but not on this day because I rang it and rang it and rang it. Finally all but 8 turned and I explained that all valentines stay in the backpack until the party which, AND I REPEAT, does not start until 12:50!!!

Fast forward to 11:45 and the tornado drill, fire drill and high school band could have been playing in the hall and nary would we have been bothered as in the loudest voices possible the kids passed out the valentines (so that they would have time to open them and eat candy, cookies, sugary drinks and more candy at the party from 12:50-1:30.)

At 12:10 I headed what I thought was an entire classroom down to lunch, but discovered on my return up that two remained because they seemed to have some valentine passing out issues and needed to get it rectified by the party.

So I gulped my lunch in about 15 minutes, supervised 4 kids to finish work they had neglected to do all week, and went out for recess duty.

AND THEN THE FUN BEGAN... and this truly is the part I love. Give them food ( mouths closed) and goofy valentines to read and they are as good as gold. It was the build up that was the worst.

However, I still HATE classroom parties. And I am eternally grateful that I only have TWO MORE PARTIES and ONE MORE VALENTINE"S PARTY to go!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment