Sunday, May 23, 2010

Confessions, Thieves and Lawn Care

I had such an interesting Friday because I had all three of the title words thrown at me, almost at once.

This year I've allowed my class to chew gum. Some research shows that active kids sometimes need the chewing sensation to help control the restlessness, so I've allowed gum. Naturally, being a teacher, I had to qualify it with some rules.

1. One piece in the am, one in the pm.
2. No sharing or asking another for gum.
3. No popping bubbles.
4. Throw it in the trash.

And of course we've had those rules broken and broken and broken again.

All year long the kids have been complaining that someone steals their gum.

Too bad, so sad, I say. Not much sympathy.

I can't spend hours (or what seems like it) playing detective.

So on Thursday a student is missing a new package of gum. Then another student gets a cookie from a different teacher as a reward and because we have roaming bodies, which means roaming fingers, she asks to leave it on my desk. (Assumption here...teacher's desk is safe.)

We all go to the Computer Lab and when we return the cookie is gone.

AARGH!!

So I pat them down, check the backpacks and the second backpack has the cookie.

The child denies, vehemently, insisting it's a plant. (My words)

If that's true, then I've got some REALLY crafty children, brighter than their ITBS scores show!

Anyway, I call Dad and on Friday morning Dad shows up with the student and the student apologizes to me and confesses.

The Dad then wants the student to confess to the entire class. We decide to do this at the class meeting, which was very interesting in itself.

Here's the Class Meeting story:

So this student apologizes to the class and then I open it up for further confessions. (Ahem, Mother Bodnar taking confessions now.) I explain that the truth will free us all! Or something of that nature. And sure enough, two more little culprits fess up to stealing gum and other things. I've NEVER had that happen before. Guess you've got to experience it all before you retire.


Back to Friday's meeting with Dad -

And as additional punishment the Dad wants the child to come to MY HOUSE every SATURDAY for a month and mow my lawn, rake leaves, pull weeds, whatever I want. Dad wants the child to look me in the eye and know that our trust was betrayed.

While I think this is noble, in theory, I do not think that a Third Grader is going to be able to do my lawn service. I already have lawn service (Ed). And I have a sneaking suspicion that Dad will just drop the child off and return later.

So, if and when this is set up, I will probably insist that the school reap the benefits of manual labor, not me.

Five more FULL days, one half day and 180 more...

No comments:

Post a Comment