Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It's Not a World I Know

I've had some recent experiences that let me know how sheltered a life I have led and do lead.

At the ER one question they asked me was: Are you safe at home?

I guess they need to open the door for Domestic Violence conversation. (Ed was WAY out of the loop. He kept thinking about our door locks, floors, etc.)

Then the nurse thought my IV would be easy to do because she noticed I was not a "user".

Then one of our students is on his 16th, yes, 16th foster home since he was 5. That's an average of four homes a year.

Can you imagine what this child's 'head' is going to be like when he's an adult?

I shiver with the knowledge of what is around me and it's rather close...

Student Story:

I have a student who moves to the beat of his own drum. And that drum beats rather slowly.

So I pulled him aside last week and talked to him about maybe speeding things up and doing what I ask, after all that is his job.

I mentioned that he may be passive aggressive and I explained what it was.

At the end of my mini lecture he says, "You know that word you used Mrs. B?"

You mean passive aggressive?

"Yes, that's what my dad has."

Apple...tree...apple...tree...

I'm not actually sure his dad has passive aggressive. The boy also is ADHD, so I suspect he actually meant that.

Post script: The talk didn't work so well. He's still drumming very, very slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment