Today is my younger brother's birthday. He's 54. This isn't the best photo I have of him, but it's what I have on my computer and I'm too lazy to scan in another photo, because believe me I have some good ones.
My brother is five years younger than me and that's a lot of time and space between kids. It certainly was when I was a teen. As smaller children I imagine we played together more, but if I recall correctly, he was a little shit. Maybe he was ADHD at home, but at school he was an angel or so my mom used to say. He saved all that pent up energy for us at home.
My brother had rheumatic fever as a child and couldn't really play sports, so instead he beat me up and I bet he did the same to our little sister, Beth. Somehow he had to get out all that aggression.
I make him sound horrible don't I? That's the beauty of memories, they can be anything you want!
Actually my brother has the best memory of the three of us. When we get together to recall the past he seems to have the most details. I have managed to remember nothing. (I've got to read Nora Ephron's book by the same name.)
When we were going through school there was enough span between us that no one really compared us, which was a good thing. I was the goody two shoes and he was, well, not so much the studious student. I don't know what our mom was thinking when she named us. Diane, Duane, really? With one letter difference people often misread our names, more so on Duane's part, they read Diane. Duane is such a 50s name, isn't it? Of course I guess the same can be said about Diane.
Once my brother married and became an "adult" at 27 or 28 we began to have many more things in common. We are both highly organized, watch out when the two of us are together. He and my sister and I all have exactly the same laugh. If you know me and my laugh, imagine that in triplicate! My brother also likes to talk and monopolize the conversation, plus he thinks he knows everything; so imagine how we fight for the floor.
My brother did provide me with my one and only nephew, for which I am eternally grateful. I am Shawn's favorite aunt. Of course my sister would disagree and maybe even Shawn at times, but this is my blog.
So on this February 10, 2011 I wish my brother a very Happy Birthday and many, many more!
No comments:
Post a Comment