Monday, April 4, 2011

Another Last

Today at school I had a BIG LAST.

My class and I performed to Aretha Franklin's RESPECT. (I wish I could show the video, but I do have to protect my kiddos.)

I kind of got myself into this about eight years ago. Every grade level was in charge of doing an assembly around a counseling theme. Bummer! Well that year my class got 'respect'. And whenever I hear that word I think of Aretha. So I decided the class and I would lip sing and dance.

Then I came home and told Ed about it and he said I needed some props, like guitars and a saxophone. I said it didn't need it, but he insisted and volunteered to make them.
So, he made this really great guitar, and another and another, one for every boy.
And he made some saxophones
for the horn solo in the middle of the song.

I bought myself a beautiful shirt
And a wig of outrageous color

And  we were set.

The problem is that the class the next year expected for me to do the same. And the next year, and the next year....

We have danced to YMCA, True to Your School, Everyday People, Fun, Fun, Fun, and a few others that I have forgotten. I hated to disappoint each class and you know how it is once you start something; it is hard to stop, but

I FINALLY get to stop. So this year I didn't spend much time thinking about the song, I chose Respect again. I thought I would wrap up my singing and dancing career with Respect.

Ironic, isn't it? I think respect is worse now than eight years ago. Looks like these assemblies haven't made too much of a difference...

and after all that work...

No comments:

Post a Comment