I don't exactly feel like I'm old enough to retire, but when you examine numbers it's pretty glaring how old I am. I have children in their early 30s, so I can't be 30 any more. My first class that I ever taught are in their 40s, so I can't be 40 any more. And when I forget things or get so easily distracted or ache when I get up or am careful when I move so as to not dislocate a precious part, I know that I am closer to 60 and 70 than what I want to admit. And don't get me started about looking in a mirror!
I watch a lot of MSNBC and when I listen to the politicians or pundits most of them are my age or older and they don't even look like they are thinking about retirement.
![]() |
| Pat Buchanan, born 1938 |
Why should they, it's a good gig the've got going. Maybe they have to wake up early to get to an early morning show, but when they get there they just pontificate. They don't have to reduce their vocabulary to three syllable words like I do; they don't have to stay on topic, like I do; and even though their audience is wider than mine, they don't have to make them mind.
Some of them, like Hillary Clinton, have drivers and chefs and personal buyers. I wouldn't want Hillary's job. I think it is taking a toll on her, personally. She looks terrible.
She has to be ready to travel at a moment's notice. And that got me to thinking about her packing. I'm sure she doesn't. I'm sure she has someone do that for her. And then I thought about her underwear. Someone washes and dries and packs and even buys her underwear. Can you imagine? What if she ever wants to change a style of underwear? Can she? Does she even know what the latest style is? I'm thinking she does not wear a thong.
Strange where the mind goes, isn't it?
Do you think that's a sign of aging?


No comments:
Post a Comment