Tuesday, July 19, 2011

When You are Down, Be Productive

Several years ago my friend and I were out and about, basically doing nothing meaningful, but yet it had meaning to us. And she was telling me about her friend and her comment about aging. When you have bent down or are down on the floor, what else can you do while you are down, because getting up and going back down is a strain.

I laughed at the thought and have remembered it many times since, when I am getting something off the floor or remembering the beauty of being able to get down on the floor on those days when the body just doesn't want to cooperate.

So today as I was bending down to release my sinuses after my netti pot rinse, which I do daily and if it's TMI, just deal. I realized while I was down I should get my blow dryer from the cabinet because I would be needing it soon and I WAS DOWN. I also noticed that the tile was dirty and I was immediately irritated. Not because the tile was dirty, but because I didn't have a rag RIGHT THERE to clean it, while I WAS DOWN.

So now I am going to have to make a special effort to clean the bathroom tile or keep a pile of rags right there to be handy. DAMN! I have the time to do it, but I wanted to be productive, right then!

That's what I'm finding as I age. I want everything handy. I don't want to reach up or heaven forbid have to get a step ladder. And I don't want things down too low for fear my back or knees or entire body will slip into some zone that they haven't been in before. I guess I now know why my parents, my dad still, have everything on the counter in the kitchen. It's so cluttered, it drives me nuts, BUT he doesn't have to go up or down too far.

So the moral of my story is when you are down, you are not out, you just need to be productive!

No comments:

Post a Comment