Friday, August 12, 2011

Dial 1-800-Obama

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours at the local Organizing For America (OFA) office calling confirmed Democrats to see if they still support the President. All on my calling list were 65 or older (who else could you contact during the day?)

As a person who has worked with people (children) and behavior for most of my lifetime it was an interesting experience. Sometimes when the person answered, not being the one I wanted, I was almost afraid thinking they are deceased. Many told me they were invalid, but were really very up on the issues.

It's funny the picture I would get in my mind as to what I thought the voice looked like. I imagined

  •  teeny, tiny frail women
  • large robust men
  •  thin, balding, Fred Astaire types
  •  hunched over, barely able to move, sort of the body is gone but the mind is strong
Only one woman was rude. After I introduced myself as an Obama volunteer she shouted, "Don't call me, don't call me. He's a rat!"

I just had to chuckle. I thought I would hate calling and maybe if I have to keep on doing it and doing it and doing it, I will hate it. But for yesterday I enjoyed the change of pace. At least it wasn't an upset parent and I had to solve the problem. Yesterday I could just say, "I'll pass that on."

Then the other part of the two hour stint was my reaction to the office. OMG! All of my organizational skills, my OCD, my how-can-anyone-work-here came in to play. There is just one young man who "runs" the office and the rest is manned by volunteers, who come and go and come and go and there is no one stable person to be in charge of anything.

YIKES! I immediately wanted to start organizing. I wanted to be the mom and say, "Look, let's get some semblance of order here for efficiency."

But, I let it go, I did the best I could and that was good for me to not take it over.

However, I did learn that the next time I go I am taking an entire container of disinfectant wipes, maybe a mask too...(no, it wasn't THAT bad!)

No comments:

Post a Comment