This is currently my favorite TRUE story.
A friend of mine had a birthday in early January. All she expected from her husband was a card. That's all. Just a card.
So she wakes up on the morning of the anniversary of her birth and looks for the card from her dear, sweet husband on the counter and it's not there.
She asks, "Where is my card?"
He replies, "You will get it tonight when we go out to dinner."
She responds, "You haven't purchased the card."
He of course tries to wangle out of it, but she knew and we all know he forgot.
She's mad and he knows he's in trouble so he leave immediately to head to get a card.
This is the card he returned with.
A lovely card, no?
Well my friend, still irritated, just glanced at the card, threw it down and proceeded to be disgruntled. The card went on the mantle with her other cards.
One week later she removes the cards from the mantle and rereads each one. Then she reads this one from her husband and she rereads it.
She goes to him and says, "Did you read this card?"
"Of course, it says everything I feel."
"No, did you REALLY read this card?"
And for the next five minutes they continue in this vein.
She then hands the card to him and asks him to REALLY read the card, for if you look at the VERY last line...
He signed right under, TO THE MAN I LOVE.
Well, this poor man is NEVER going to live this down! In fact his birthday was a couple of weeks later and my friend just put a post it over his name and signed her name and gave him the same card.
In his defense, he also bought a dozen roses and the lady at the floral department commented on what a lovely card this was and that it was quite popular. (This is Iowa after all and we do support gay marriage...)
So I did a little sleuthing because I shop at the same store and I have a little time on my hands so I went to the card aisle to look for this card and up there it was
I guess he didn't look real closely and see the MAN I LOVE divider.
However, in his support take another look -
It is in the HER BIRTHDAY section.
I can see how someone would get confused, especially if they were in a hurry because they knew they were in trouble because they forgot to buy and card and it was THE day and the sooner you get something the better, or so they think.
What men haven't figured out is that once the damage is done, it's over and pretty hard to correct. And that a little note, even on a scrap of paper that said, "Happy Birthday! I love you." would suffice. It's not really about the card, it's about the remembering.
No matter, this story is going to go down in history in his relationship and with me too.
And you have to know that my friend is saving this card, she may even frame it. Poor guy, he will never be able to top this birthday!




No comments:
Post a Comment