I succumbed, I downloaded this book.
I wasn't going to, but then Dr. Oz had an entire show on this book. The women on the show were super excited and thought it changed their relationship. Also Dr. Oz talked about females taking the initiative. So I thought that was what the book was about, the female taking the initiative.
Wrong. It was about male dominance, S & M. And about every other chapter was a sex scene. Erotica. All of it.
There was no real plot to the story (OK, I thought there would be something there).
The dialogue was weak. (A lot of one word answers to three or four word questions.)
There was a lot of repetition of everything: same kind of conversations, of a very childish, immature nature; same descriptions of the characters - he's hot, she's hot; and always similar situations for the characters.
Because I have a really hard time NOT finishing a book, I finished the book. I kept holding on to hope that there was something of value coming. Boy, I am an optimist.
Just like I am amazed that so many people voted for George Bush in 2004, I am amazed so many women LOVE this book. Really, women want to read soft porn? Cuz that's what I felt it was.
I consider myself a liberal and I can accept all the sexual excitement over this book. I just wish it had been well written and not so much male dominance. I didn't like the female lead being objectified. I know Gloria Steinem is behind me on this one.
Here are some other reviews - some make my point a lot better than I ever could.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/9201010/Mommy-porn-Fifty-Shades-of-Grey-by-EL-James-review.html
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2012/03/26/sultry-subject-spells-success.html
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04-14/entertainment/ct-prj-0415-50-shades-grey-20120413_1_american-women-shades-execution

No comments:
Post a Comment