I keep reading about visualizing, especially now that the Olympics is on, sportscasters and journalists and coaches talk about athletes visualizing the way they will look performing their sport. Just the sheer act of creating that vision in their heads helps them excel.
The implication here being that we too can visualize a variety of feats and our sheer will and force of mind thoughts will help us succeed.
I do believe in the power of the mind. For healing, for learning, for creating your own path.
So in the mornings or at night I lay in bed and I think about all the things I want to do, either the next day or in my lifetime.
I visualize myself getting up in the morning with vim and vigor and taking a walk. Maybe I'll even walk faster and farther than I ever have before.
Then upon returning from that walk I will do some yoga. Maybe for an hour. I have the time, why not.
I also visualize myself keeping a neat and tidy house. I will take the time to wipe off the counter just one more time to make sure I have gotten every spec or morsel that could remain.
No counter will be cluttered. Everything has a place and is in its place.
I'm really VERY GOOD at visualizing.
And then I get up.
And I quickly walk past the exercise band and weights and tell myself I need coffee first.
Then I look at the internet or catch the news, because staying informed is important too, right?
Soon it is 9:00 and it is too late to take a walk outside because I will get too hot and sweaty and I hate walking in heat and humidity.
So I tell myself that I will walk on the treadmill, BUT that doesn't have to be done now, I can do that at any time and you know of course that "anytime" does not come today.
And I know you are aware of where this is going. I am not going to do what I visualized. Or at least not with the energy and exertion I had thought when lying supine.
I'm thinking I've been sold a bill of goods about visuals. Yes, yes, it is all well and good to see yourself swimming faster than Michael Phelps and touching the button and popping out of the water and discovering you are #1. That has got to be motivating. Just that thought. But there must be a little bit I am missing in between the visual and the actual.
I'm thinking it is discipline and work and effort and more work and more effort and pain.
It's disappointing to me. I don't like pain or a whole lotta effort either. I was sort of hoping a visual would carry me through.
No comments:
Post a Comment