Saturday, August 11, 2012

Coming of Age

Certain ages have specific anticipations.

Remember 13? You were now a teenager.

16 meant you could drive.

18 was a 'quasi' adult, only due to the indication that you could vote. (And in the 60s be drafted)

At 19, or the year I turned 19, we could drink beer legally. That was an unexpected year of rejoicing.

Then there is the infamous 21. What can't you do at 21?

30 meant adulthood, for real, no more fooling around. You were no longer a baby at 30.

At 50 you get your AARP card, but many refuse to acknowledge it (both 50 and AARP)

So when I turned 60 I really tried not to think about it at all. It sounds REALLY old and I'm not sure I'm feeling it, even though my grays and wrinkles and overall body shape give me away.

But last night I discovered it is good to be 60. Ed and I went to see Hope Springs (really enjoyed it, a total boomer movie)

I wanted to buy our tickets early, then go to dinner and that way we were not rushed to leave to get to the movie. So that's what I did. $17. $8.50 each. Done.

Then a friend texted me during dinner to wish us Happy Anniversary and I texted back about the movie and she said to not forget the "Senior" discount.

Man, I bought my tickets!

However when we entered the theater I approached a nice young man (40) and gave my most naive story about I am not used to this decade yet and could we get a credit for the difference between Senior and the rest of the world?

He was very pleasant and gave us the cash back.

$2 a piece. $6.50 for a senior to go during Prime Time.

Now I know.

Now I'm a Senior.

Oh, god.

Somehow I'm going to need more benefits than just movie tickets to make this palatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment