We've known each other for 40.
![]() |
| College Graduation |
When you look at the numbers it seems like a long time.
When I think about it, some days I can't remember NOT being married.
I remember when I was dating various guys in college and would go to their apartments and we would cook, I was so nervous. What if they didn't like my food? (I really didn't know how to do to much in the kitchen)
Then I remember in high school couldn't imagine going to bed with my husband with my hair in curlers.
Isn't it amazing that all that becomes so a non-issue? Ed eats everything I put before him, sometimes with a grimace, but he eats it
And I don't wear curlers. I'm not sure I did when we were first married, maybe for a teeny bit. (Now THAT had to be attractive!)
We were young when we married. 22. If I had to do it over I would have waited longer. Only for maturity. For time on our own, individually. I now see the value in that. However in 1974 it was rather well accepted that you marry right out of college.
![]() |
| Natalie hates my hat. I hated a veil, too traditional at the time. |
Here's what I remember about our starting out -
In 1974 we paid $222 for rent on our apartment. It was a brand new building. We were so excited, but worried if we'd be able to make that payment.
I made $8000 something as a teacher. It was more than Ed made as a photographer for a studio.
We bought a 1970 Oldsmobile (baby blue) for our "good" car. It was a coupe. At the time it seemed perfect. When we had children a two door was NOT the ideal.
![]() |
| This is our Olds. The car above is NOT the Chrysler. Same color, but ours looked a tad better. At this point ours had less rust! |
We also had a 1962 Chrysler, turquoise, from my family.
We used cinder blocks and wood for book shelves.
We had my old bedroom set and Ed's parent's living room sectional. My parents gave us a formica table and chairs.
We got $600 cash and lots of kitchen, serving ware. I remember that when we counted out the cash or rather Ed counted it, he took like 580 of it and handed me a $20. The Gloria Steinem in me gave a shout. He really didn't mean that was all I would get because we were putting it in the bank, but at the time I thought I deserved half.
So that was what we started with. $600 and used goods.
And we didn't object. We didn't know any better, I guess.
So 38 years later.
Two children later.
One son-in-law later.
One daughter-in-law later.
One granddaughter later.
One granddaughter-to-be-later.
Two apartments, three houses later.
Here we are.
And Life is Good.




I love your story! Happy Anniversary you two!
ReplyDelete