Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Canada

by Richard Ford is the current piece of fiction I recently complete.



Did I love it?    No.

Was it well written?  Most definitely.

Could I appreciate the author's style and intellect and ability to write with such intelligence? Yes.

Was it a page turner? About half way through.

Would I recommend it? Kind of. It may have been out of my league, beyond my intellectual ability, since I enjoy reading for fun, not study. This would be a great Book Club selection, if people actually discuss books at a Book Club.

At any rate I got through all 418 pages. I wanted to ditch it half way through, but I stuck with it. I'm glad I did. I truly was memorized by the author's writing style. In a sentence he would tell you what happened present, future and past so eloquently.

It was a very philosophical book. My favorite quote is at the very end and it doesn't give away anything except give an idea of the intelligent writing -

"What I know is, you have a better chance in life - of surviving it - if you tolerate loss well; manage not to be a cynic through it all; to subordinate, as Ruskin implied, to keep proportion, to connect the unequal things into a whole that preserves the good, even if admittedly good is often no simple to find. We try, as my sister said. We try. All of us. We try."

I enjoyed this interview with the author from The Daily Beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment