Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Writing Workshop

In June I took a Writing Workshop class at St. Ambrose.

The class I took was about the Art of Storytelling.

The first day the instructor asked us to write down three things we had done in the last 24 hours.

Here's what I wrote -

1) I went to coffee with friends.
2) I am restoring my daughter's dollhouse for her daughter, my granddaughter.
3) I took a rumba lesson with my husband.

Then he said to combine all three things in a paragraph, making them all relate.

I spent the drive home and running errands searching and thinking and straining trying to see how I could make something coherent out of three random thoughts.

Here's what I came up with.

Cuban Motion


My friends think I am talented. I guess that’s their job. Support me when I’m down and white lie with encouragement at my tales. So over coffee I tell them I am restoring my daughter’s dollhouse. “See, therein lies talent,” they say. I beg to differ. I’m just tearing off wallpaper and repainting. Talent would be staying within the lines. Talent would be adding astro turf for a lawn. Talent would be shingles on the roof. I’m just painting. Sure, it’s updated, but it’s a little boring. Then I tell them about the rumba lesson my husband and I took last night. They love the dance stories. They think we are Fred and Ginger. I’m thinking Fred and Ethel or Fred and Wilma, but who am I to spoil their image. Last night’s lesson was on the lead creating a good Cuban motion. Most of the men at dance are like my husband, eager to learn, but just can’t get those hips to move. You have to give them an A for trying. Then there is Joe, a very polished and professional dancer. He’s been in showcases. It’s intimidating for me to dance with him. So after we practice our step he asks, “Did you get my Cuban motion?” Oh, yea, I got his Cuban motion. His hips were swaying enough for all the men in the lesson combined. “That is talent,” I tell the girls. “That is real talent.”

No comments:

Post a Comment