by Chris Cleave
is the book I've just finished.
I thoroughly enjoyed his prior book, Little Bee, but I remember having a little start to get into the book. When I read the book end about Gold, I wasn't sure I would enjoy it due to the sporting emphasis. I'm just not that into sports.
However, the cycling is just the backdrop. The book is more about the interwoven lives of four adults and a sick child. I found myself engrossed because I continually wanted to know what was going to happen to these characters.
Cleave tells the story in flashbacks and makes the reader work to put the pieces together. I like that. It made me keep turning.
This won't rank as a favorite book as of late. Cleave is not even close in the category of Geraldine Brooks as a writer. Her skills far outshine, however he is heads above Jennifer Weiner or Danielle Steele. This isn't necessarily a 'happy' book, but an easy book to read.
Some reviewers say he was cashing in on the 2012 Olympics because he is from London and wasn't the timing just perfect? So what if he was? This isn't a true story and who cares anyway. The man has to make a living and I am in awe of anyone who can write.
Let him succeed.
Next bedside tome - Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

No comments:
Post a Comment