Friday, December 14, 2012

Middlesteins

by Jamie Attenberg, it the book I recently finished.



Here is her site.

The book has been recommended on several lists, so I thought, "why not?"

when I read that Jonathan Franzen (Freedom) thought it was wonderful, I had my doubts. I read Freedom, but I'm not sure I totally understood it, so I wondered if I would "get" this book.

He says it caught him from the start and I do have to agree. I was pulled in right away. I also thought the author did a great job of transitioning from present to past. I was always connected. She developed the characters and I felt I really knew them, but I kept waiting for some action. There was really very little and maybe that was never meant to be.

It was just a chronicle of this family working their way through every day issues. I had to finish it to find out what happened to them in the end and I was satisfied, but I can't say this book would rank on my must read list.


No comments:

Post a Comment