Thursday, December 20, 2012

Snow Day

Our area is having a Snow Day today.

And for me it is just another day. I still feel the excitement because a 30 year old habit is hard to break.

I used to love the FIRST Snow Day of a year, but then I dreaded every one after that because it extended the school year.

When I first started teaching we NEVER had Snow Days unless the snow was over a foot or two. I can remember driving and easing my car slowly at the bottom of a hill and waiting my turn to gun it to the top and hoping no one was ahead or behind or on the other side. (I was driving a 1962 Chrysler battleship)

It hasn't been until the last ten years or so that our district has relaxed on cancellations. Many times I think parental pressure and the weather forecaster scares have caused cancellations when we should have gone and then THAT caused concern so the next time we were in session when we should have been home. Truly it has to be a difficult decision.

Right now it is raining and soon (so they say) it is to start snowing and blowing. Winds up to 55 mph. We will just have to wait it out and see what happens.

For me, I'm staying home. Now on any other day I might complain that these four walls are driving me nuts, but not today. It's a Snow Day and in my mind that means stay cozy inside and don't get out of your jammies til noon and read a book ( Gone Girl) drink something hot and

 let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.



One caveat: NO snow or weather difficulties tomorrow, that's our travel day and I will not be a happy camper if we are delayed....

1 comment:

  1. I still get excited about Snow Days too! Guess those habits are too firmly engrained. I am loving today: Christmas carols on, frosting cookies, soooo glad I don't have to leave the house.

    Have a wonderful time in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete