by Louise Erdrich is on almost every book list as a must read. It took me a while to put it on hold at the library. I really didn't want to read a sad book.
And I was mildly surprised. The theme of course is tragic. A brutal rape of the main character's mother, but Erdrich pulls you in with her storytelling. She is masterful. I was intrigued throughout with every character's life.
Due to the horrible sadness you know there is going to be no happy ending, but there is satisfaction in the telling. The book was very well written. Erdrich deserves every award she's been given.
And on another note, this book and the last two I've read have all been written in the same style, quite successfully. The authors tell the story in the present and then quite easily insert the future life of the character. It works well and gives the reader some relief as to the outcome or prepares them for what is to be.
I've only read one other Erdrich book, but I intend to read more. She is gifted.

No comments:
Post a Comment