The tragedy in Connecticut is beyond words.
It makes me sick and I mean that I could be sick literally if I allowed myself to go there.
I listened to the news to get the basics and then I stopped. I couldn't go on and hear the stories, the conjectures, the specifics.
Almost every channel is highlighting the tragedy. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be coverage or respect to the suffering of the families, but I'm not sure that 24/7 newscasts on every detail over and over and over again, is doing any of us any good except making us scared.
Scared to take the kids to school. Scared to go the mall. Scared to go see a movie.
I have no solution. I wish I did. But for my own self-preservation I've been watching those silly, sappy movies on the Hallmark Channel. Or reruns of Andy Griffith and Frasier. I needed funny and happy endings.
Yesterday on Live with Kelly and Michael they discussed the shootings for a few moments and then went on to say that even though they could not make anything better, maybe the best thing they could do is go and try to entertain. I was eternally grateful. I don't think it was disrespectful to those who died or are suffering. I think it was to aid those of us who cannot bear the sadness and need some relief.
And we can only pray the families of those lost will find some relief at some point in their lifetimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment