Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Twelve Tribes of Hattie

is my recent book completion.

I was reading it on my iPad and the fault I find with reading on electronic devices is I never really get a feel for when the chapter or book is ending. I know it gives me pages remaining at the bottom, but it's just not the same as the visual of actual pages.

So last night as I was reading all of a sudden when I turned the page I came to Acknowledgments.

Oh no, the book can't be over! I was devastated!

I loved reading about these characters. Ayana Mathis has written each character as a chapter, in different time frames, and because they are all from the same family you find out details about others in the family in each chapter.

Very nicely woven.

Very intriguing.

I loved the characters.


However, I must say, I was never as enthralled by the book as is Oprah. My ebook had Oprah's passages highlighted and then her explanation as to why she highlighted at the end of the book. I just didn't get it. I sort of felt like maybe I should be in the Blackbird Reading Group, I was not Bluebird quality.

A review from the LA Times sort of agrees with me. The book is fine, not stellar. That being said I did really enjoy it and it is worth the time to read.

And you may wonder when do I have time to read? Well, only at night, and sometimes only for 20 minutes before I fall fast asleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment