Monday, February 25, 2013

Oh Nancy

Nancy Drew, I loved ye.

I still have my Nancy Drew collection. I don't have all in the series, but about 23 different titles.


As part of my New Year cleanse, "less is more" philosophy, I'm working on shedding my home of the stuff-in-which-I-have-held-on-to-for-what-reason-I can-no-longer-fathom.

So I examined my Nancy Drew books. I checked out ebay and they are worth more than the 80 cents or $1.25 sticker on the cover. There is even a site devoted totally to Nancy Drew and how to discover what your books are worth. It's going to take time and patience and I'm not sure I have that. When I get an idea I like to follow through RIGHT AWAY. So we'll see.

I did enjoy looking at each book. I had written my name in each one and sometimes who gave the book to me, which lessens their value, but it made me chuckle looking at my signature and the things I wrote. I dated when I received some of the books and it looks as if I read them all from 1962-1964.

And  The Haunted Showboat was my first book. Here's what I wrote on the inside.


Evidently it was a big deal that I bought it!

So my love affair with Nancy started in 1962 when I was 10. I devoured those books. I remember all I wanted to do was read all day. My mom forced me to stop and eat, do chores, and go outside and play. I just loved to read.

And when I read this I didn't want to give this book up. Somehow those words written by an innocent ten year resonated within.

This is why the written word is so important. It connects. I wish I had written more, but the simplicity does say it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment