Yesterday I went to two graduation parties of students I had in Third Grade.
Both of them were delightful students and have turned out to be outgoing, friendly, ambitious and kind young women.
It warmed my heart to be invited and to see them to maturity.
Both will be going out of state to college. One on a full academic and athletic scholarship.
I know they are going to be successful. And how, do you say? Well, for some reason teachers know. Call it gut. Call it experience. Call it intuition.
I was trying to reflect on how I could know. Here are some determiners:
1) They come from strong, supportive families. Both parents in the home. Both parents involved in their child's education and activities. I have to believe this is a factor. Certainly not the only reason, but definitely a foundation upon which to strengthen the child.
2) They were both happy children. Bubbly even. Positive. Friendly. Lots of friends.
3) Both were runners. One in track, one cross country. They were involved in school activities.
4) They were obedient in school. Never got in trouble. Always respectful. They would come back and visit me once they got to Middle School. Always, always, always kind.
5) And they didn't come from money. Just great middle class families. The girls didn't have everything handed to them, but they also weren't deprived.
I don't know, if any of my "research" would pan out in a scientist's mind, and I wish over the years I had kept track and marked who I thought would succeed and who would not and see my percentages. I bet they are pretty high.
No matter. The success of these two young women is enough. I swell with pride when I see what they have become and what they hope to be.
It's the most gratifying experience to have been part of their journey, even if for a very short time.
No comments:
Post a Comment