Friday, June 28, 2013

The Sopranos

I never watched the entire Sopranos series on HBO when it first aired. We didn't have HBO at the time. Then when we did get HBO I felt it was too late to catch up, plus I was working and just didn't have the time. (Although I did watch the finale, go figure.)

Earlier this spring I thought I should watch The Sopranos, but wasn't sure how to go about the task and then I forgot about it.

Then James Gandolfini dies and it triggered my interest.

So I'm watching.

I love it.

I don't think I would have loved it in 1999 because I would have thought it too violent, but after watching Walt on Breaking Bad. Dexter on Dexter and Don on Mad Men, those bad guys that you love and hate at the same time; Tony Soprano is the leader of the pack.

In fact that's what the critics are saying, James Gandolfini set the bar for those loveable bad guys. The Sopranos led the way for this type of television. He is the personification of a mobster.

I love the opening title. It is a classic. The music is so eerily foreshadowing. Tragedy seems to be woven within. Somehow it seems to be the perfect eulogy to a life taken too soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment