I enjoy a good laugh.
Sometimes I cause others to have a good laugh.
Humor is very important to me.
My kids have my sense of humor.
My brother and sister and father and I all have the same sense of humor.
And I love it when I find friends who share the same.
My husband and I do not.
His is a slapstick, Red Skeleton, I Love Lucy humor. I enjoy Don Knotts on the Andy Griffith Show more. I like witty comments, dry humor, ever the innuendo.
Case in point. My husband got an email from someone with a joke. He was laughing so hard he was crying. He could hardly share the joke. When he finally spoke it was something about a pilot flying in an airshow saying he had hit some buildings. He's gasping with mirth.
I was stone cold.
Then I moved to see the photo. It was a hot air balloon hitting three or four outhouses in a row.
Oh boy, now THAT is funny. (hardly) Again, I am poker faced.
And turnabout and he doesn't laugh at Louis CK or David Sedaris or Jerry Seinfeld (maybe a little).
So I know he would not enjoy reading this book:
Someone Will be With You Shortly by Lisa Kogan
I made the mistake of starting to read it before bed one night and was laughing myself awake.
It is hilarious. There are so many wonderful one liners. I am jealous. I want to write like her, because I think like her.
Here is a little sampling, for you to decide if you have my humor or if you would rather I posted my husband's joke:
Her spin on what she (and other women) want from men -
"We want (and it's nothing short of remarkable that I'm saying this in the year 2010) to make the same money men make when we do the same job. And while I'm taking care of business, we want people either to quit telling us how essential it is that we breastfeed or start providing places where we can pump milk without fear of bumping into that guy who's making 30 percent more than we are for doing the same job." This is not really so funny as it is true. I had to put it in here for my working mommies.
"We want all rock stars over sixty (I'm talking to you, Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney) to date women over sixty. Gentlemen, the day will come when you'll be needing a hip replacement. And _mark me_ the moment your little friend can't be there for you because she's got Gymboree, my aunt Selma will seem like a slice of heaven." Did you read, James Woods (age 66) is dating a 20 year old. Uh, could be his GRANDDAUGHTER!!!!
"Some desire DiCaprio, others crave Clooney, I have a little thing for Desmond Tut, or, as I like to call him, Archbishop Mc Dreamy. What can I tell you? I've always been a sucker for integrity and twinkly eyes, which is why I'd also like to send a quick shout out to Kris Kristofferson and Peter Falk."
"My haircutter - a chain-smoking artiste in white jeans - was named Plawmphh. He said it, he spelled it, I swear I heard Plawmphh. In retrospect, it occurs to me that Plawmphh may not have actually understood a whole lot of English, and that perhaps in the land of Plawmphh's birth, the phrase 'Just take an inch or so off the ends' was phonetically indistinguishable from 'Please, f*** up my life beyond all recognition.'"
"(and by the way, Mom, I now know for a fact that a diaphragm is not a kitty cat's bathing cap...my first clue being that we didn't have a cat)"
Honestly, if you need a lift, she is the author to do bring you to the top.

No comments:
Post a Comment