I finally finished the series. I think I've been watching it off and on all summer. And while I was watching there were numerous references to the show.
One, of course, when Gandolfini died. And many times by television critics reviewing current series (Dexter, Breaking Bad) all the while indicating The Sopranos started it all.
And by started I think they mean quality, cutting edge television. There was a time when no movie actor would accept a role in tv. That has certainly changed. Plus HBO was a cable network willing to take a risk.
Recently I heard Steven Soderbergh talking on NPR about his show, Behind the Candelabra, nominated for 15 Emmys (it is a great show) and he mentions that when he was pitching studios about this film, HBO jumped on it right away, whereas he had had others turn him down. Because of HBO's risk with The Sopranos and their large viewership he felt this film was presented in the correct medium.
I love listening to all those behind the scenes trivia.
And as I was watching the last season of The Sopranos I can see the connection with Breaking Bad and Dexter, both in their last seasons. Things need to wrap up, I suppose the viewers want some finality. And there is literally some finality. A whole lot of people are getting killed.
Funny, when I watched a few episodes of The Sopranos way back I thought it was too violent. It was. It is. But somehow I've come to accept, not be immune, but tolerate the violence now. I still cringe. I still think, really do they have to show that? do that? but I can turn away and not quite empathize with the characters as much as I have previously.
The Sopranos was good, but I must say its last season or even its entire run has nothing on Breaking Bad. I'm on the edge of my seat, with my jaw dropping, for each episode. I have no idea where they are going or how it is going to end, but oh my, what a great ride.
Now I have time to catch up on the last season of Dexter. Golly staying current with film, movie or television, is hard work people!
No comments:
Post a Comment