Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Activities

So I've been involved with Senior Communities for about a year now and I've got a few opinions about activities.

I think it is wonderful they offer exercise classes. At my MIL's they offer them six days a week. At my dad's only three. And the exercises are just sitting in chairs and moving legs and arms. And I know you are thinking, well what else can they do? But there are some exercises like T'ai Chi or Qi Gong that would be new and different for them to try.

I just think the residents looked bored because the stuff is so boring. There needs to be more variety.

And Bingo. Is there any other game a Senior might like other than Bingo?

Trivia Pursuit? Other board games? I do see Wii offered at my MIL and I know she will never do that, but it is a step in the right direction.

Or what about all those people who travel and want to talk and talk and talk about it and show their 500 slides? This is their market. Let's stimulate some minds.

How about Science experiments? I know that sounds stupid, but how fun to make a volcano explode in the kitchen. It's better than weaving baskets, which they don't do.

My MIL said she wanted to learn to play the piano. Wouldn't it be grand if there was a Resident Trade a Skill?

 I know everyone has a talent to share and wouldn't that be a wonderful way to increase those brain cells? From experience I know that when I taught something I certainly learned a lot about it. So there could be classes offered. My MIL could take a piano lesson and maybe she could teach knitting.

It's a win-win.

I am just a little disappointed in the lack of stimulation. I know the aging have aging brain cells, but maybe it's because we are making an assumption and not pushing for more.

When you have nothing to look at, nothing to do, sitting around and napping is the only resort.

 It's just my observation so far. I could be way off base, but I keep wondering if when we baby boomers get there if things won't change just a little.

Hopefully I've got years and years before I test it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment