Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Remember Julie

the Activities Director from the Love Boat? Well when you are at a Senior Living Community there is an Activities Director to help you enjoy your stay.

Seriously I know I could do a better job. I have thirty years of experience entertaining children. Seniors. Children. Adults. It's all the same, but more on that tomorrow.

So I went to an exercise class with my MIL.

Oh boy, imagine the fun. We saw the 'instructor' beforehand and my MIL asked what kind of exercise we would be doing.

The instructor, a resident I might add, said, "Oh, it's low impact."

Seriously, how bummed was I. I was expecting weights and high intensity burn.

But I must say she was great about introducing us newbies and making everyone else say their name. It was nice. She got points in my book for that.

The exercise was all from sitting in a chair and those of us who could stand did a few exercises upright.

My MIL needs a few more times to get the routine down. When the instructor would say put your right leg out, my MIL would do her left.

That did not go unnoticed and she was told to stick out her other foot.

My MIL did not like being told that. She shouted, "But I am left handed!"

The instructor, ever so vigilant at her job, shouted back, "I don't care if you are left handed, stick out your right foot."

After a few more missteps my MIL did manage to start with her right foot or right hand.

We worked out for 30 minutes. Can't say I worked up a sweat, but I did feel rather fit compared to my seat mates.

They were lovely people. One man in a wheelchair pulled the walker up to a lady.

Another woman, obviously the cheerleader of the group, went around hugging everyone at the end.

It was rather a busy day. IF they wanted to attend the Sing Along (some oldies but goodies and a few hymns) they only had an hour to nap before it started. Our exercise instructor must have been leading that too because she had to head off and get ready. One can never plan too much.

I make fun, but she was adorable. And how terrific that her life is so full, we should all be so lucky to age so well.






No comments:

Post a Comment