Monday, April 14, 2014

It takes more than 2

to tango, as I discovered this weekend.

It takes a teacher/mentor to follow you around and point out ALL the errors of your ways.

There is posture,

There is the placement of the shoulder,

There is the pressure of the hands,

There is the length of the step,

There is the way you are facing,

And that's just in the first hour.

Oh, it was a humbling experience. And we discovered that 98% of the people at the Festival were experienced. And they were oh so good and so beautiful to watch.

In our defense, we are ballroom dancers and Argentine Tango is OPPOSITE everything you learn in ballroom. So there we were off to a rocky start.

By Sunday we war brain fried with a sore back. All weekend we tossed around, do we stick with ballroom and explore tango or do we ditch one for the other? The problem is we have no Aregentine Tango community in our area, so it would mean we have to REALLY make an effort to drive to another area 45 minutes to an hour away.

Do I have that much devotion?

Not sure.

We had a great weekend. Met some wonderful people. And learned a lot not only about the dance, but about ourselves. So that makes it all worthwhile.

But just be aware, it will be quite some time before I look like the lady I posted on Friday. In fact, maybe never.

No comments:

Post a Comment