Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Breaking the Cycle

I was out tonight with some friends I have met 'post' working. So we are having all new conversations, getting to know and understand each other. It's sort of fun to watch it all unfold while being in the middle of it all.

One story really struck a chord with me, in a positive way. One of the women was young, about 37. Her mother had her at 19, she had her first child at 19 and she knew she did not want him to be a parent at 19.

I don't think he will be. He just graduated from high school and is headed to Hyde Park, NY to a culinary institute. Due to his passion and perseverance and her tenacity and guidance she has allowed him to break the cycle.

She is so proud, as well she should be, and she is an example of how a mother can be the force behind change in not only our children, but ultimately the culture.

I can't even imagine what it has taken for her to get to this spot. I know her road was much harder than mine and I am pleased to know someone so strong and willing to look at life as full of possibilities versus feeling victimized.

If only there could be more like her and him.

No comments:

Post a Comment