Monday, June 2, 2014

The Things I Do for Love

So Aven's Mommy is gone, her Daddy and I are here and she 's been great for us, but when you wake up at 4 am the only person you really want is your Mommy.

Daddy got up, but was relieved by me because I figured I could nap if need be. So I rocked Aven and then put her in her crib. She put her head down so sweetly and I turned to walk away and POP, just like the vintage Jack- in-the-box, she was up and crying out. So I patted her back and let her know I would lay right on the floor beside her. 

That seemed to bring comfort and quiet.

Except I was on the floor.

How do I get out of this position?

Well, I started to make my move, ever so stealthily, I thought, but without two caveats:

1) babies have excellent hearing.

2) older people have bones that creak

So as I make my move my bones make enough noise that she stirs and POP goes her head to check on me.

Like a child caught with a hand in the cookie jar, I layed back down.

As I watch the clock wondering if I'm to remain on the floor for the remainder of these wee hours I come up with Plan B. As the door is open and not far from my perch I decide to keep my low profile and wiggle and squirm my way to the door.

I'm glad no one was around to video. It wasn't graceful, it wasn't smooth, but it was quiet.

Usually her door is kept closed, but there was no way I was risking it; the door would stay ajar just as it was. We both needed the sleep.

She managed to sleep for one more hour, which is better than none.

I love it how she can awaken wide eyed with nary a thought to the havoc she created just a mere sixty minutes ago. Nor did she acknowledge my skill in managing an escape!

But I love her any time of the day.

Here is our selfie of the day. As you can see I need a little work on taking selfies, but managing a phone, a twenty month old, and the correct angle is about two things too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment