Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Different Perspective

I was listening to Bryan Stevenson on Fresh Air.



 He is an attorney who helps incarcerated children and wrongfully imprisoned men (or women I would assume.)

He has just written a memoir and when I googled him a talk at TED came up.

You've got to listen. He is profound and has caused me to think of the death penalty and our prison system in a whole new light. The statistics he recalls in the TED talk are mind boggling in not only prediction of the future, but where we are in the present.

Are our prisons working or creating more of a mess?

One of the most riveting comments he made was "Each of us are more than the worst thing we have ever done."

This speaks to forgiveness, understanding, and compassion. And I'm not sure we, as a country, are doing enough.

See if he doesn't effect you too.


No comments:

Post a Comment