Sunday, May 3, 2015

Comprised … Composed

Did you know it is grammatically incorrect to say: The menu was comprised of both vegetarian and meat dishes.

You are to say: The menu was composed of both vegetarian and meat dishes.

A man in San Jose, CA has spent FOUR years removing all comprised of from Wikipedia. If you are into grammar, he could be your hero.

It NEVER occurred to me that this was incorrect. I have my own grammatical errors that I listen for that drive me crazy, like "me" coming first.

But it appears that this word is a sticking point for a lot of grammar fanatics.

On one hand I admire the tenacity of the individuals who pursue grammar perfection and on the other hand I think perhaps they are a tad too persnickety, but maybe as an English speaking country we need some grammar police roaming our pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment