I
had arrived at LAX and felt like a pro at knowing where to go to catch my Uber
ride. As I stood at the designated A sign and watched my app read nine minutes,
eight minutes, seven minutes, then
back up to eight minutes I couldn’t help but wonder what this drive and ride
would entail.
I
had arrived at a reasonable time 1:10 pm on a weekday, so traffic wouldn’t be
at its worst. It wouldn’t be good, it is LA, but at least it was not rush hour.
My
driver’s name was Timothy. He was driving a Toyota Corolla and I couldn’t
really tell much about what he looked like personally from the tiny photo on
the app. I’m not good at recognizing car types, but they do also give the
license number so I kept my eyes peeled for his digits.
Others
around me were reading their phones and searching the traffic for their driver
as well.
I
spotted my driver. And I don’t know why I was surprised but out pops this
all-American looking young man with a warm, welcoming smile on his face. He
looked like he could be my son or nephew or the cute neighbor from next door.
He
greeted me by name and we headed off. There wasn’t anything profound about our
conversation but we talked the entire time. I didn’t ask if he did this all the
time or as a supplemental income. We did talk about the cost of living in the
LA area and traffic.
He
was just so sweet and kind. I wanted to be motherly and ask if he had a
girlfriend or wife. If not I would set him up (as if I knew anybody…)
However
I must admit each time I’m in a car by myself the thoughts of being abducted by
gunpoint do cross my head. Sometimes the drivers reach over to the glove
compartment or the front seat and my mind tends to go to the dark side and I
wonder, “Is he going for a gun to rob me, kill me?”
I
have reasoned if at this point in my life that’s how I die, then so be it. I
just want them to make it quick.
But
Timothy was not my demise. He was delightful and normal and when we parted I
almost felt like we were friends. Or at least the friend of my son’s just dropping
me off.
With
a great, big, warm smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment