Thursday, August 24, 2017

Back to School Picnic

Evidently it is a tradition at N's school to have a Back to School Picnic for parents and students. Sort of a welcome back, get to know each other.

My son nor I had no idea what to expect, but we were given a brochure to buy tickets for a variety of things in advance and that gave us some indication.

I had to keep reminding myself this was LA and I wasn't in Kansas any more.

First thing we did was get a stuffed coyote, Build a Bear style. There were probably about five machines there to handle the crowd. The coyote is the school mascot.



Then there was a taco bar, but not just any old taco. There was rice and beans and enchiladas and quesadillas and guacamole and well, you get the picture.

And this little old picture doesn't even begin to tell the story. They had a DJ. And he was adorable. In his early twenties I would guess and oh so talented. My granddaughter was mesmerized by the music and could have spent the entire two hours just swaying and grooving. The DJ was showing the kids moves (and he was good) and they were jamming right along.
There was also a photo booth and a dessert booth. We took a blanket and ate on the field.

It was crazy, chaotic and oh so much fun.

One note I found so interesting. This school's parent group (not called a PTA) raised $750,000 last year for the school.  You might want to reread that number. I was astounded. I'm sure it pays salaries for para-educators and other programs that a state's allotment cannot begin to touch. I remember when a school in Iowa raised $10,000 I thought that was over the top. Guess it's all about perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment