Wednesday, August 23, 2017

School in California

Not counting my own years as a student I have spent 30 years in school in Iowa. And I didn't have the opportunity to visit other schools around the country. The school district didn't seem to have a budget for explorations as this. :)

So I was thrilled to tour N's school on the night of her Back to School picnic (post on that tomorrow) What surprises me is the campus. I expect one building with enclosed halls. And I forget that there is no snow, very little rain and lots of sunshine and warmth. Think sunny and 70 every day.

There currently is a six million dollar renovation occurring at her school, just for the playground. While I did not get to stand inside or photograph her classroom, here is the exterior.



This is a side view of one of the buildings.
 There is a sign posted indicating second grade and younger are on the first floor.
And this is the view of that same building from the front.
 The photo below is not a great shot, but shows the hallways that students walk between buildings, classes and lunch. I assume this was for the older students as the kindergarten rooms are more centrally located.

 This was a second grade door entrance. Exterior. Just outside my paradigm. There is the teacher's bulletin board announcing her name and the grade. No window. All windows are on the other side of the room.
 Outdoor lunchroom. Of course. Why wouldn't you want to eat outside when the weather is always gorgeous. Wonder what the noise level is like?

This is the other side of the lunch area.

And here are my two pumpkins outside her classroom. So far she loves school. Each day she told me this is Day 2, Day 3, Day 4 and one day she said, "I will be going to school for over 100 days." I didn't have the heart to tell her there are thousands more ahead.

Drop off and pick up are so interesting. There is a chain link fence around the school. At designated times the gate is unlocked and students and parents are allowed in. Kindergartners are walked to their room. The gate is locked at 8:10 and kids are tardy. There must be someone there to let them in or there is another 'tardy' entrance, not sure.

At 1:50 or 2:50, depending on the day, the gate is again unlocked and the parents walk inside (I felt like we were entering a stadium to a rock concert) and walk to the child's classroom, stand outside the door and call out the child's name and the child is sent out.

None of this is an easy trip. The drive from my son's house to the school is about ten minutes. Then you have to find street parking and depending on your spot then walk a block or two or three to get to the school. This is his neighborhood school.

The school has a fantastic reputation. It is a charter school, but in LA school district and follows the LA school calendar.

I am so going to enjoy this kindergarten year with my granddaughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment