I'm taking a Spanish class. It's the adult variety, just exposure, no tests, no grade.
Thank heavens.
Do you know how hard it is to learn something new?
Jeez.
My maestro (teacher for you non speakers) was born in Mexico. He's lived in the US since he was 10 and is a US citizen. He has some very interesting thoughts on Mexico and they are not positive. It's really the best part of the class, his perspective.
The other part of the class, the learning, is rather challenging. I've reinforced what I already know about myself as a learner.
I am visual. He can pronounce all he wants, but I need to see the visual. And I need to write. Otherwise the information just does not stick, well for very long.
I also need some sort of organization. Whether it comes from the instructor or my own efforts I need to make sense of the information.
Most adult language texts assume the adult is learning for travel, so there are a lot of phrases, as opposed to when we learned a language as a youth and it was broken down. It's taking my brain a while to adapt. I find myself wanting to break apart a phrase and learn the meaning of the words.
Now, you may ask, am I traveling to a Spanish speaking country? No.
Do I anticipate I will need Spanish in my future? No.
I just thought the challenge would be good for me. Whoa, is that an understatement. I also find myself thinking do I have the perseverance to keep it up and not make this a one time wonder.
Hmm, we will see. Right now if you are with me, I can get us a taxi.
Yo necesito un taxi.
And a bathroom.
Donde esta el bano.
Call me. I may be an asset for your next trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment